Dr. Doug Freedberg is a board certified orthopedic surgeon with additional CAQ in Sports Medicine who has trained at some of the most prestigious orthopedic and sports medicine institutions in the world. He did his orthopedic residency at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC, the #1 ranked orthopedic program in the country currently as well as during his training. Following this, he completed a sports medicine fellowship in Alabama with Drs James Andrews and William Clancy. He specializes in knee and shoulder arthroscopy, sports medicine, golf injuries and injuries to the throwing athlete. Total joint arthroplasty is an additional area of expertise.
Dr. Freedberg will shortly begin his 15th year as the spring training and orthopedic consultant for the Oakland Athletics Baseball Club. This involves evaluation, coordination of treatment/rehab, and surgery from the new draftees through all levels of the organization including the major league club and occasionally visiting the Dominican Republic to evaluate young Latin players.
The Arizona Cardinals utilize Dr Freedberg’s expertise as he is co-team orthopedic surgeon and is on the sidelines for all games (home and away), holds twice weekly clinics, evaluates players at the NFL Combine and covers training camp.
Dr. Freedberg is also orthopedic consultant to Exos, formerly Athletes’ Performance, arguably the country’s elite training center for athletes of all sports and evaluates many of the top NFL prospects maximizing their performance for the Combine and MLB players gearing up for spring training.
He continues treats numerous PGA/Nationwide/LPGA/Champions golfers and had provided medical coverage over the years for the Phoenix Open/FBR, Senior Tradition and LPGA Safeway events.
Community involvement is integral as well and includes Friday night football game coverage for the Scottsdale high schools and preseason physicals. Dr. Freedberg also functions as a volunteer mentor/preceptor to medical students and students of physician assistant, physical therapy and nursing schools.
“I enjoy teaming with my patients to help them understand their conditions and treatment options, thereby empowering them to manage their health care. Above all, I provide top-notch care for all — those professionals in sports, or just in life.”
Board-certified: Orthopedic Surgery
Specialties: Sports Medicine and Orthopedic Surgery
Education: The University of Arizona
Medical School: The University of Arizona
Internship/Residency: The University of Arizona/ The Hospital for Special Surgery NY, NY
Fellowship: American Sports Medicine Institute
Fellowship Directors: James Andrews, MD and William Clancy, MD
- Oakland Athletics Baseball Club
- Arizona Cardinals
- Phoenix Coyotes NHL Hockey Team
- Numerous PGA/Nationwide/LPGA/Champions golfers
- Athletes’ Performance, the country’s elite training center for athletes of all sports and evaluates many of the top NFL prospects maximizing their performance for the Combine and MLB players gearing up for spring training
- Provided medical coverage over the years for the Phoenix Open/FBR, Senior Tradition and LPGA Safeway events
- Community involvement is integral as well and includes some Friday night football game coverage for the Scottsdale high schools and preseason physicals
- Volunteer mentor/preceptor to medical students and students of physician assistant, physical therapy and nursing schools